Janeal and Nicholas Ironside met each other in 2011 fighting in a tournament. It was love at first sword strike. The couple have been inseparable ever since. They were married in 2016. To celebrate their marriage the Ironsides honeymooned in the beautiful country of Protugal where they represented the United States of America in the International Medieval Combat Federation (IMCF) World Championship. The couple brought home two gold medals and a bronze medal proving to the world that a couple who slays together stays together.
As instructors Janeal and Nicholas have over two decades of sword fighting experience and training. Their skill set covers a broad range of medieval fighting styles from fencing to fully armored fighting including specialties in multiple different weapon formats.
In addition to their numerous competitions Janeal and Nicholas have branched out to the filming industries. They have been featured in fighting documentarys such as “MMA with Medieval Armor and Blunt Weapons: Vice Sports.” Janeal had the honor of a guest appearance on the TV Show Man At Arms: Art of War. Where her expertise on the longsword was called in to test the Oathkeeper sword from Game of Thrones. Nicholas Ironside was given the opportunity to compete on the History Channel’s new show called Knight Fight. There are more filming projects Janeal and Nicholas are involved in so stay tuned for more updates!
Click here to watch the Man at Arms: Art of War show.
Janeal “Key” Ironside
30+ years of martial arts training, 14 years of sword fighting experience, World Champion and international athlete.
- IMCF World Championship 2016 – Gold Medal – Women’s Polearm (undefeated)
- IMCF World Championship 2016 – Bronze Medal – Women’s 3v3 (Captain of the team)
- USA Women’s Team Captain – ACL 2016
- HMB International Tournament of Chivalry 2017 – 1st Place – Women’s Longsword
- HMB International Tournament of Chivalry 2017 – 1st Place – Women’s Polearm
- ACL National Competition 2016 – 1st Place – Women’s Polearm
- ACL National Competion 2016 – 1st Place – Women’s Longsword
- ACL New World Cup II 2015 – 3rd place – Men & Women’s Polearm (only woman to compete against the men)
- ACL New World Cup II 2015 – 3rd place – Men & Women’s Longsword (only woman to compete against the men)
- ACL New World Cup III 2016 – 3rd place – 5v5 team competition (mixed gender)
- ACL New World Cup III 2016 – 2nd place – Women’s Longsword
- ACL Eastern Conference 2015 – 2nd place – Men & Women’s Polearm (only woman to compete against the men)
- ACL Eastern Conference 2015 – 3rd place – 5v5 team competition (one of only two women to compete, all other competitors were male)
- ACL Western Conference 2016 – 1st place – Women’s Polearm
- ACL Western Conference 2016 – 2nd place – Women’s Longsword
- ACL Pacific Region Competition 2016 – 4th place – Men & Women’s Longsword (only woman to compete against the men)
10+ years of sword fighting experience, World Champion and international athlete.
- IMCF World Championship 2016 – Gold Medal – Men’s 16v16 team
- ACL National Competition 2016 – 1st place – Men’s 5v5 team
- ACL New World Cup III 2016 – 3rd place – 5v5 team
- ACL Eastern Conference 2015 – 3rd place – 5v5 team
We are pleased to announce a new instructor with a whole new list of classes being offered at Ironside MC. Nelson Pinto is a world traveler and student of multiple martial arts. He has had the privilege of training with some of the best in styles that have been around for centuries. Starting in February, Master Pinto will be teaching PBIT Blended Filipino Boxing, Balintawak, Stockton FMA Multi Style Escrima, and RIMA Rister Inosanto Kali.
Master Pinto was born in Greenwich Village, NYC and raised in Portugal. He began his martial arts education at the age of 15 (1993), studying and experimenting with several arts: Modern Farang Mu Sul (Mixed Self Defense System), Hapkido, Karate, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Aikido, Haidong Gum Do, Taekwondo and several Filipino Martial Arts. He’s certified by the IDP (European Community- Portuguese Institute of Sports) and also a Licensed Massage Therapist in the USA.
He achieved his 1st degree Black Belt in Portugal, under his Teacher Master Carlos Pedro (Taekwondo & Combat Sports: Kickboxing, Boxing and Muay Thai) and under the supervision of GM Chung Sun Yong 9th Dan of Taekwondo.
Belt Ranks Held:
-Chief Master 7th Dan in Hapkido and Master Degree 5th Dan in Modern Farang Mu Sul and Taekwondo. Direct student under the Founder, Grand Master Michael D
– Filipino Martial Arts Teacher Level 5- Balintawak Arnis Cuentada under Guro Soriano and GM Bobby Taboada. Responsible for the Balintawak Cuentada groups in Colorado Springs, CO
– Filipino Martial Arts Teacher – Stockton Multi Style Escrima; Giron Escrima, Serrada Escrima and Decuerdas Escrima under Master June Gotico.
– Instructor from RIMA Organization; Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do, Filipino Boxing (Panantukan) & Silat, Inosanto Kali, under Sifu/Guro John Rister.
– Humble student of Libre Fighting under the guidance of the Founder Scott Babb and Cassidy Lee.
For the last 17 years he has been teaching defensive tactics in several parts of the world to military, law enforcement security and civilians. With his job experience in security and these last years as a Correctional Officer, this gave Master Pinto the tools to have a simple, easy and effective approach to teach Self Defense for the real World, where his students from all ages can learn faster and reach their goals.
In addition to being a personal student of the Living Legends above, he has been trained by several celebrated Grand Masters of many martial arts.
He’s known and respected for his efficiency, speed and explosiveness of execution. He is an expert in several areas of self-defense, combat and weapons, with a practical and effective program, that makes him a complete martial artist, offering immense diversity in his teaching to his students.
He has amassed awards for his martial art prowess and contributions to community, government and military entities, with appearances in mass media (TV, radio, international magazines and newspapers).
His training and studying is dedicated to achieve Perfection of Character and an Effective Self Defense. Master Pinto considers himself always a beginner, a student and leads his life based on this quote by his Teacher, Grand Master De Alba (Founder of Modern Farang Mu Sul),
“Because it is far better to have the knowledge, not the need, than to have the need and not the knowledge”
Master Pinto lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado since 2018.
His goal, teach more of what he loves. He also wants to make a difference in the community teaching Self Defense skills and leadership.
Currently, he is the FMS Technical Director for Colorado State – USA, President of Fighting Martial Systems (FMS)-Alliance, member & adviser in IDCS (International De Alba System Confederation), member of World Kido Federation-Korea and member of MACS (Martial Arts Collective Society-USA).
FMS Alliance: www.farang-alliance.org
We hope you will come and join us on our next adventure.