Some of my top fans have been requesting a martial arts-based cardio workout, which is a brilliant idea. Here is my first cardio and HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workout that incorporates the basic techniques found in my empty hand program (Pinto Blad and Impact Tactics).
Depending on how hard you want to push yourself decided how many times you want to repeat the two circuits. If you decided to repeat the circuits complete both circuit #1 and #2 then go back to repeat them. Circuit #1 and #2 should take 20 minutes. All you need is a little space in your living room and a water bottle, no special equipment or martial arts knowledge is required.
Be sure to fully warm-up and stretch before jumping into this workout! You can do your own warm-up or follow the suggested warm-up
This is the warm-up Duncan with B Greater Fitness always had me doing before my workouts. If you like this warm-up you will need a foam roller.
- Upper Back –“Wellness Wednesday: Try a Foam roller for DIY massage”
- Quads -“Wellness Wednesday: Tight thigh muscles? Try a foam roller”
- Lats –“Lat & Rotator Cuff – Foam Roller Myofascial Release”
- Inner thigh –“Foam Rolling Adductor Muscle (Beginner) | Foam Rolling”
- Calves – “Foam Rolling Tight Spots in Calves – St Ives Physiotherapy & Sports Therapy Centre”
- IT bands – “Fix Your Lateral Knee Pain With A Foam Roller (Runner’s Knee, ITB ,TFL)”
- Hamstrings –“Wellness Wednesday: Use a foam roller to release your hamstrings”
Be careful not to overstretch before your workout. The point is to get your muscles loose and ready not to work on flexibility.
- Hamstring – hold for 20 seconds each leg and repeat once –Seated Single Leg Hamstring Stretch
- Chest – hold for 20 seconds each side and repeat once –Doorway Pec Stretch
- Butterfly – hold for 30 seconds repeat once – How to do a butterfly stretch
- Tricep – hold for 20 seconds each side and repeat once – Overhead Tricep Stretch
- Quad – hold for 20 seconds each side and repeat once – Standing Quadricep Stretch
- Jab – 25 reps each side
- Cross – 25 reps each side
- Hook – 25 reps each side
- Uppercut – 25 reps each side
- Jab/Cross Combo – 25 reps each side
- Hook/Uppercut Combo – 25 reps each side
- Jab/Cross/Hook/Uppercut Combo – 25 reps each side
Total of 125 reps!
Take a 2 min break
- Box Step – 10 reps each direction
- Jab/Cross switch – Left and Right count as one rep do 20 reps total
- Hook/Uppercut switch – Left and Right count as one rep do 20 reps total
- Female Triangle Step – 10 reps each direction
- Male Triangle step – 10 reps each direction
- Female Triangle with Knee strike – 10 reps each direction
- Male Triangle with Knee Strike – 10 reps each direction
Total of 180 reps!
Take a 2 min break – or use the suggested exercises in the video for your cool down.
Be Sure to Support us on Social Media! #ironsidemedievalcombat
With all the exciting things happening this year, we would love to share this amazing training with our community to help inspire a love for martial arts. You can help support these programs by following and sharing our various social media pages. There is a Facebook Page, Instagram Account, and YouTube Channel dedicated to Ironside Medieval Combat. Check out these pages, share them, talk about them, and together we can make Martial Arts an inspiration for generations yet to come.